FIC TECHNOLOGY PTY LTD (EDQUIRE)
FIC Technology (FIC), the company who developed and is operating edQuire, is a privately owned philanthropic company dedicated to helping teachers and parents help students to use computers effectively for learning through evidence-based science. We:
- Collect only computer activities and personal information needed to measure computer learning by students in school and for purchased home products also at home, in order for teachers, educators and parents to help students learn using computers;
- Collect personal information from students, teachers, and the school to ensure that the information is available where needed, is accurate and its interpretation is valid;
- Provide students or their guardians with access to their personal information on request and the ability to correct or update it;
- May aggregate and share de-identified personal information with other educational or commercial organisation but only for the purpose of improving student education.
2.KINDS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT AND HOLD
FIC’s edQuire software collects personal information about students’ activities on their computers and on the internet in order to assess and improve their learning. We collect various types of information including:
- Student Descriptive Data: student names or pseudonyms traceable by the school to students and their laptops, date of birth, attended school, class, selected subjects, daily time tables, class teachers and academic results and assessments.
- Student Computer Activity Data: activities students engage in on their designated school laptops or on school computers in the form of the applications used, internet websites visited, internet resources used, search engine queries, use of clipboard functions and the durations of these activities, their sequence, as well as the associated use of input devices such as keyboard and mouse and computer configuration; we collect and retain such private information only during class time; we may also collect such information outside of class time during school hours but retain report it only in a de-identified form, we do not collect or inspect written content, except for search strings contained in URLs.
- Self-reported Data: optionally, edQuire may provide facilities for real-time entry by students of self-reported study or leisure activities and student’s and teacher’s
(under a pseudonyms) ratings and reviews of computer educational resources used by them.
- Learning Analytic Student Data: edQuire will further keep results of learning analyses from student data, including probabilistic categories of on-task and off-task times, activities most used and other parameters relating to computer study habits and skills.
- Teacher Information: teachers’ names, their employing schools, subjects they teach, students they teach, classes and times they teach, computer activities of their students, computer resources recommended by the teachers and academic performance of their students.
In some instances, we may give you the option of giving us your email address and first name in order for us to communicate your results to you. In any case, we do not collect information that identifies your location other than your postcode/ zipcode/ IP address.
3.HOW WE COLLECT AND HOLD THE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information from students, their schools and parents and members of the public. Examples of how we collect and hold the personal information are:
- edQuire software application: is installed on your school laptop or computer by the school IT staff or you may be asked to install it on your own computer that you bring to school in order to demonstrate your participation in computer activities in lessons; the application transmits securely to our cloud analysis engine your computer activities in class whenever they change or every 60 seconds;
- Websites and apps: when visitors visit our website (we deploy cookies or analyse click-stream data) or use our products, services or apps;
- Web analytic software/cookies/click stream data: we use this to evaluate the effectiveness of our website;
- Emails/electronic messages sent by students, parents or teachers to us: email/electronic message address will be recorded automatically;
- Social media: we may participate in social media and collect such information.
If you give us personal information about other individuals (e.g. students and teachers at your school) we ask that you tell the individual that you have done so and make them aware of this Policy, for example, by giving them the link to it, www.edquire.com.
We protect personal information from unauthorised access or alteration, disclosure or destruction. In particular, data that is transmitted on public networks is either sent encrypted and / or anonymised. We have protection measures for collection of personal information, its storage and processing, including physical and digital security measures to guard against unauthorized access. We restrict access to personal information to authorised FIC employees and contractors. Where contractors need to know that information in order to process it for us, they are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations.
4.PURPOSES FOR COLLECTING, HOLDING, USING AND DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect students’ computer and internet usage information to process, analyse and provide it to their teachers and educators to assist with improving the student’s personal learning and study behaviour as well as to scientifically analyse and improve general approaches to computer use in education.
We use the personal information to provide, maintain, protect and improve the edQuire service, to develop new and improved services, and to protect FIC products and our customers.
We may use anonymised information collected from your computer and browsing behaviour for various statistical group analysis of students’ internet use by age, sex, or country and area code, but NOT to create any individual or personal behaviour profiles.
We do not sell, share or make available any personal information to other companies, organisations or individuals; we may share or sell de-identified grouped computer-use data with academia or other companies solely for the betterment of education.
As an Australian company operating internationally, FIC controls the holding of collected personal information in Cloud based data servers which may be located in Australia or in reputable overseas data warehouses such as in the United States, United Kingdom or Singapore. Client schools however may request the holding their data in a particular national location.
We may send you material about our products and services, This may occur by mail, telephone, email, SMS or other electronic methods, such as through social media or targeted advertising. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will try to use that method where it is practical for us to do so. We give you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving this material in our communications with you or you can opt out by contacting us using the details below or log-in to our websites.
5.ACCESSING AND UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information (e.g. student profiles and settings). If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request. Our contact details appear below.
6.COMPLAINT RESOLUTION MECHANISM
If you have a question, concern or complaint regarding the way in which we handle your personal information, you should contact our Privacy Officer direct at:
FIC Technology Pty Ltd
Unit 41, 159 Arthur Street, Homebush West, NSW 2140, Australia
We will respond to you within a reasonable period to let you know who will be handling your request and when you can expect a further response. If you are unsatisfied with our response you can contract the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
We will amend this Policy from time to time and notify you by posting an updated version on our website at www.edquire.com.
Any amendments to this Policy will be effective immediately upon being posted to our website. Your use of our website, products or services following such amendments represents your acceptance to the Policy, as amended.